Monday, January 4, 2010

Quick Clarification in the form of a mini-post

Maile felt there was some confusion regarding the rules of engagement for our tv termination. They are as follows:

*no watching anything on the television (I thought that was pretty clear)
EXCEPT THE FOLLOWING:
* the occasional movie on DVD for a date night on the weekend (c'mon folks, we've got four kids and are working on limited funds, here)
* the kids may watch the occasional video as well - the main purpose of this is for Maile and I to see what life is like without television

I think those are the only exceptions. Television shows / sporting events may not be viewed on the internet as a way around the rules. I am still reeling from the sudden realization that the World Cup is this year. Trying to find a way around that - maybe I'll just have to go to South Africa and watch it live!

Tune in tomorrow for an entertaining post on television shows I often enjoyed but wish I never would have watched, for various reasons.

4 comments:

  1. In terms of watching the World Cup, you could always go to a bar with guy friends and get drunk watching fantastic footage on large HD televisions while your family is at home playing nicely together without the television on. I mean, if you like soccer and all. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. this actually brings up an interesting point. who wants to go to games anymore, or even leave your house, when we've all got 40+ inch flatscreen HDTVs showing the game in crystal clear, picture perfection? i'm hoping the lack of tv will force me to get out more, maybe take cade to some games this year. maybe social events outside the house should be included under allowable tv watching situations - seems the main goal is to stop sitting on our butts in our own living room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True. Ryan and I are wondering if you will watch tv when you come here? Huh? Or will we just blitz nonstop?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn - When we were teeveeless, there were occassions when we would indeed see programming. First (and I had many friends laugh when I described this), when we were at a hotel that had televisions in the room - we would watch it. And second, for important events (in our case the OJ Simpson verdict), I allowed myself to walk to a neighborhood bar and watch it there. we did have a VCR hooked to our machine and did rent movies of interest - we did not have to deal with temptations such as yours - since we simply did not receive any television signals into our home.

    ReplyDelete