Thursday, January 7, 2010

Deal or No Deal?

One of the most common responses I've gotten when people hear about this experiment is, "Man, I couldn't do that, but good luck to you."

I can understand that response if I was planning a trip to the top of Mt. Everest, or preparing for a year eating only beans (good luck to my family if that was the case), or going a year without shoes. But this is tv folks.

It's not that big of a deal.

Perhaps now that I've done it for a few weeks I've seen the wizard for who he truly is - that little dude standing on a stool to make himself taller or speaking through a megaphone to make himself louder. Going without tv isn't scary, and, actually, it's not all that difficult. A television isn't a bully, just a talking box, sitting there in the corner waiting for us to turn it on and watch other people do fun and interesting things while we sit on a sofa and eat and think, "That's cool."

Not to say the blank screen doesn't occasionally watch me as I cross the room, or whisper things to me . . . "National Championship game is on tonight" . . . "Wouldn't it be nice to veg in front of Friends for a few hours" . . . "Entertainment, you need entertainment!" . . . But it doesn't take long for that voice to sound more and more nasally and conceited and, eventually, down right annoying. And since I still have the remote control I can turn the volume down.

Quick word association - what's the opposite of:

laughing . . . crying
love . . . fear
television . . . peace

Wow. That was insightful.

So a quick heads up. I think I'm going to try to encourage some sort of week without television and see how many of you guys will sign up for it. I don't know when exactly, but let me know if that sounds like an interesting experiment you might be willing to try out. Maybe if you live close, we'll have you over for dinner at the end of the week and share detox stories, or if there are too many people we'll all go somewhere. Or if there are no people then Maile and I will eat alone.

My goal in this is definitely not to try to persuade everyone in the world to give up tv - there are more worthwhile causes to fight for and, contrary to how this may all look, I'm not strictly anti-tv. So if you're not up for a week away from the idiot box, that's cool, too.

And you can still come to our dinner.

*** make sure you tune in on Saturday and Sunday this weekend - I will be in Florida (enough with all the groaning and sighing b/c it's 40 degrees and raining in West Palm Beach) so we will be having a special guest blogger. That's right, none other than my beautiful wife Maile. Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Shawn,
    Funny that you would suggest going a week without tv. After reading your blog and reflecting on tv's "involvement" in my life, I am going to try it! I'd love to participate that week! Thanks for the encouragement and the kick in the butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm up for a week without tv. Now if you can just find a week that is after the super bowl, prior to world cup, not during the olympics and not during the NCAA tournament.

    Oh and you have to convince Jenn to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For awhile when our kids were young, we used to go 1 month each year without TV. The outcome was very predictable, like clock-work:

    WEEK ONE, lots of pleading, "aw, mom..." grumpy, whining, I think it was simple withdrawal.For this mom and dad, it was somewhat the same, especially in the evenings--"lets see, what to do with all this time on my hands?"

    WEEK TWO, sort of coasting, a bit less whining, a few questions like "how many days do we have to go yet?" but an overall acceptance that this predictament wasn't as terrible as we thought it might be.

    WEEK THREE, kids started looking outward, usually toward each other, playing together, honestly less sibling rivalry since they really needed each other to make life fun!A noticable difference in the kids' attitudes, honest. (especially the year we chose December as our no-TV month, very little "gimme" for Christmas that year. Brilliant, actually!)

    WEEK FOUR, This was good. We would talk about how by this time, we actually didn't miss the TV that much after all. It just became much less of an issue. We were reading more books, playing more games, interacting more as a family.

    And then we would go back to TV as usual.

    Someone tell me why?! I honestly don't know... hats off to Shawn and Maile!! You will have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I'm not too sure about a week, I've been thinking of cutting back in general. Maybe some point later this year I will be up for a whole week. (After Lost is over, ok? Summertime. That works.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob and I have never had cable or an antenna or anything. I gave up all DVDs (except things for Selah) last year for lent and I honestly haven't gone back to most of the shows I used to watch.
    So glad I stumbled onto this blog! You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete