Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Harrowing Tale

Maybe it's because the lack of television is resensitizing me, or maybe it's because they're kid classics, but whatever the case, there's no denying it: I've definitely been enjoying The Boxcar Children books more than I thought I would.

The idea of four children and a dog taking up residence in an old abandoned boxcar almost seems harrowing, now that my mind is no longer being bombarded with Jack Bauer-like feats of adventure and violence. I experienced genuine relief when Cade, Lucy and I discovered that the Aldin children would be well taken care of by their wealthy grandfather and not mistreated as they had first feared. I was moved when he somehow transported the boxcar from where the children lived in the woods to his backyard where they could play in it everyday.

Abra and Sam were asleep and I was reading the last chapter to Cade and Lucy on the couch. Normally at about 7:55pm on a Tuesday night we would make sure the kids were sleeping so that we could turn on the tube and watch a bunch of overweight people do jumping jacks and use their teeth to fill up bins with tennis balls while a tiny rope of a woman screams at them and asks them if they have really, truly, honestly dealt with the death of their pet cat in the third grade.

Instead, the basement was quiet. A few lamps were on. A fan hummed in the background.

"Let's start the next one!" Lucy said, her eyes positively radiant, referring to "Surprise Island" (tale number two in the riveting lives of the Boxcar Children).

Why not? I thought.

So read a book to your kid tonight, or your grandchild, or yourself. You don't even have to give up television to do that.

And let me know if you have any suggestions for kids books that a 6 year old, a 5 year old (and a 33 year old) might enjoy. I'd be up for something slightly more thrilling than The Boxcar Children. Would Treasure Island keep them up at night?

6 comments:

  1. Check out "The Majic Treehouse". I don't now how many are in the series but it is probably close to 100. Jack and Annie, brother and sister, go on adventures using thier treehouse as a time machine. They travel through history, and around the globe, always with a mission to help someone. My son Nicholas (7) can't get enough of them. My daughter (4) also enjoys listening although she prefers to talk...about anything or nothing to whoever is within earshot. The books are obviously fiction, however they do contain tons of real facts. I actually don't get to read them as often anymore because he reads them himself. He reminds me of a friend I had in second grade that used to read everything he could get his hands on. Jack and Annie's adventures can get pretty exciting. They find themselves in some pretty tough situations but they always think their way out of it. The books are all numbered and I would suggest starting at the beginning so you learn the background. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out wallbuilders.com. They have American History books and dvd's for adults and school children. I have read some of the adult material and it is eye opening. The material for children may be suited for ages 8-12?

    ReplyDelete
  3. every child needs to read/hear about the lives of the Ingalls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Junie B Jones books! Also Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing is a great read aloud book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had only just read the last line when Luke came in with his Thomas book. "It's story time mommy, put Toby down."

    ...I sent him to Peter so I could write this!! Perhaps I should give up computer for a year. I wonder how many years we use up on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott LOVES the Magic Tree House series. He will usually put one away a day! The library can't keep up with us!!
    Chris has also read a couple of the original Oz books to them, as well as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
    George is very into the Wimpy Kid books himself.

    ReplyDelete