Thursday, January 28, 2010

To all you stay-at-home moms and dads out there . . .

Yesterday, Thursday, I got all angelic and decided to give my wife a way overdue, much deserved day off. She could do whatever she wanted, go wherever she wanted, as long as she could get back to occasionally feed Sam (he is still breastfeeding, and contrary to what Gaylord Faulker might think, you cannot milk anything with nipples).

And to all you stay-at-home folks out there, I have to say - it is much easier giving up television when you are not home all day. There were multiple times throughout the day when I thought to myself, I need some mindless activity just to get through this hour. Or, I need to have something that my children will stare at for a bit while I gather my wits. So to all of you stay-at-home's, first of all, you provide an invaluable service to the next generation - please take pride in what you do!

Second of all, feel free to watch television without guilt.

But there were also moments of strange peace during my stay-at-home day.

For instance, feeding Sam yoghurt. He has just started eating solids (actually, semi-solids), so his eating technique can be rather slow. He tends to close his mouth in the middle of the spoon, sending stuff everywhere. His hands always want to get involved, and in an unproductive way. He also still thinks that food is best taken in by sucking, so sometimes, instead of taking the spoon (no sporks in this house) into his mouth, he'll try to suck everything off the spoon.

Slow process.

But about halfway through this little jug of yoghurt (took about fifteen minutes), I realized: I have no where else to be right now, so why not be right here? I told Sam to take as long as he wanted, be as sloppy as he wanted. I told him I was just going to chill and I'd be there to give him a bite whenever he was ready.

He seemed to take advantage of this.

But as I settled into this state of slowness, I thought to myself that television does not encourage slowness. Television is all about the 15 or 30 second commercial: BAM BAM BAM. The thirty minute program. BAM. Instant entertainment, movies on demand, news 24 hours a day.

Take a deep breath this weekend. Slow down. Do something that takes forever, and forget about the time your wasting.

And have a great Friday.

8 comments:

  1. i second Clint.

    bread making is on the "slow down" list this weekend. you can't make it rise faster if you wanted to.

    and way to go w/ giving your Love the day off....EVERYONE will be better off because of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey shwan, I loved your blog today. I'm assuming that you are already familiar with the concept of 'mindfulness'-that's what you were talking about-allowing yourself to be fully present in the moment (vs. thinking about where you need to rush off to or worrying about the past, etc). it's a big thing is pshyc these days, in fact a primary focus of treatment for some patients-impulse control disorders, addicitons, etc. I think it may play an important part in the process of creative writing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you read 'Eat, Pray, Love'? I heard the author speak here in town this evening and thot of you-think it would be cool if the two of you could meet at some poine. at one point she lived in Philadelphia..don't know where she lives now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your concept of mindfulness sounds a lot like the traditional prayer of examin. Richard Foster discusses this in his book "Prayer," a sort of combination meditation/prayer based around doing a spiritual/personal inventory on a regular basis (daily or weekly or monthly)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shawn-
    I met your lovely wife when she and your sister came to my home to share about their homeschooling journey! It was a very inspirational time for me, and I was blessed to meet your wife... enjoyed this post... being present is one of the things that I work the hardest at as a mom...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jena - Maile really enjoyed hanging out with everyone. Thanks for tuning in to the blog!

    ReplyDelete