Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Favorite TV Shows That Do Not Exist

I was just thinking today over all the great television shows I watched as a kid, starting with the good old GI Joe and Transformer days, then on to 3-2-1 Contact and Reading Rainbow, the Cosby Show and A Different World, Silver Spoons and Family Ties.

Then I started to wonder, are there concepts for television that would bring me back, cause me to forsake my year long television fast?

Hmmm . . .

What if someone put together a reality tv show in which spouses switched places for a week . . . for all of you women out there, wouldn't you pay to see your husband at home all day with the kids, changing dirty diapers and doing laundry, or going to your place of work and struggling through your job all day long? (this was not my idea, but something planted in my head by C and S P, something of which I should be extremely suspicious as CP is a huge fan of Housewives . . .)

How about some good old fashioned reunion shows with a twist . . . something along the lines of Cosby Show/Roseanne after 20 years. Wouldn't it be great to see how Heathcliff Huxtable would deal with Roseanne?

Or maybe a combined Different Strokes / Press Your Luck reunion show . . . I can just hear little what's-his-name (was it Arnold?) shouting WHAT CHOO TALKIN ABOUT WHAMMIE?

Maybe there could be a more literal Survivor show where 16 contestants are released in a national park to survive on their own . . . only they are being pursued by men with guns (paintball, probably) and the last person standing wins the million bucks. Or a lifetime's supply of snuggies.

Any made up shows you are trying to sell to TV land?

2 comments:

  1. I did this about 5 years ago (5 years ago!!!) at my blog. Here's the shows I came up with:

    Bully - watch real life bullies get the crap kicked out of them.

    That's My Baby - re-watch embarrassing moments in pop culture through the eyes of the offender's parents.

    Stacked Deck - Punk'd crossed with poker. See how celebs act when their opponent gets an Ace on the river 5 hands in a row.

    Teacher's Lounge - hidden cameras show us what's really said in there.

    http://bryanallain.com/archives/2005/03/03/espn6/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shawn-
    Glad you mentioned the switching places tv show idea but that was Evan and me that suggested it...not C and S! :-)

    ReplyDelete