Thursday, January 21, 2010

A List of (mostly PG-rated) Things To Do Instead of Watching TV

Most of the time there are two things people ask when they find out we are not watching television for a year:

What's wrong with you?

What do you do instead of watching television?

I thought today I could clear up that second question by listing things we do (or things we should/could do) instead of watching television. As to the first question - that is far too serious a topic for me to try to tackle on a Friday.

Let's keep it simple and go with a list:

1) Clip your fingernails/toenails - this is not something that I do, even now that I don't watch television. I bite my fingernails (I know, BOO!) and usually just tear off my toenails when they get to long. That sounds really gross. It's one of the few things I do that makes me feel like Bear Grylls from Man v. Wild, and I'm not giving it up.

2) Play games with the kids - this is something we are doing more often, usually an old classic like Sorry or a new favorite like Disney Princess Yahtzee. Unfortunately I find my competitive edges seem to be increasing these days. I often find myself shouting "No, no, no, you definitely claimed Ariel as your wild card. Stop cheating!"

3) Read (more) - this is happening. I am grateful.

4) Go to bed earlier - but this only leads to waking up earlier, so I'm not seeing a real net benefit with this one.

5) Go out and party - this is not going to happen with four children 6 and under, but for those of you more footloose and fancy free, this may be something to consider.

For all of you (and there have been plenty) suggesting that we have a fifth child with the extra time gained from no longer watching television . . . well, I'm not going to tempt fate by making reckless guarantees, but as of right now I can assure you we are happy with four.

As you can see, I haven't gotten too far with this list. If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

4 comments:

  1. nothing profound - just some game suggestions that are more bearable than sorry, etc. amish golf w/ skip-bo cards & bingo...wonderful way to teach numbers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. testing-think I've finally figured it out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. with all that not watching tv free time:

    dance around the house to very, very loud music. that is a must do and the kids love to laugh at mom and dad busting moves from the 90's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get the kids a pen pal and write letters! (I think letter writing is a dying art.)

    And on that note...start Christmas cards early...I only sent around 10, but Luke made our Christmas cards this year...fun, people loved it (the ten who received one) and it was inexpensive...(Michael's has blank cards). If you start now, you might finish by December.

    That's all I have for now, will keep thinking :)

    ReplyDelete