Monday, February 15, 2010

Get Yourself Into The Guinness Book of World Records - Just Watch TV For 72 Hours Straight

Today is a tribute to Sri Lankan born Joachim. About a year ago, he nabbed yet another Guinness Book record by watching television for 72 hours straight. Could you do this? I know of only one person who could break this record, and that would be Bryan Allain if Lost was on for that period of time.

But this is not the only excessive accomplishment by Joachim - he holds 53 other Guinness records. Some of them are listed here, as well as reasons I could or could not break the record myself, if I tried:

- longest karaoke marathon (25 hours, 49 minutes) I'm not really into the whole karaoke scene. I could not break this record

- the longest time standing on one foot (76 hours, 40 minutes); I am assuming this means without any props. I don't think I could stay awake for three straight days. I could not break this record.

- the longest bout of ironing clothes (55 hours, five minutes); I have ironed one piece of clothing in the last ten years, and I can't even remember what it was but I say one piece because I'm sure I must have ironed something since I got married I could not break this record.

- carried a 4.5 kg brick for 135.5 km. I think I could carry a 9 pound brick 100 miles. I don't think my wife would let me go for the amount of time it would take, if that was all I planned on accomplishing while she looked after our four kids. I could not break this record.

- crawled non-stop for 56.62 km. I sometimes crawl after my kids, pretending to be a monster. They like this, but I usually only last about twenty minutes, after which my knees start to ache. This means, at most, I have probably crawled about 100 yards. I don't think I would make it 30 miles. However, my 7-month old son Sam is a crawling maniac. He could break this record, if Maile and I walked really slowly in front of him the whole time.

So I guess we've established that, apart from the crawling record, Joachim's numerous Guinness accomplishments are safe for the time being. I'm curious, though . . . are any of the records mentioned above within your grasp? Or perhaps you'd prefer to break one of Joachim's other records: dribbling a basketball for 156.71 km in 24 hours; dancing for 100 hours continuously; moon walking for 24 hours; performing at a non-stop musical for 42 hours; or pushing a car for 19.2 km in 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment