Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fourth Favorite Book Of All Time

For most of us who love to read, there is one book that we can look back on as THE BOOK that somehow lassoed our interest in the written word. Usually it happened somewhere in middle school or high school (although I have heard of late bloomers).

My fourth favorite novel of all time was this book for me - I read it during the summer before my senior year (thanks to Mrs. Yuninger), and the impact it had on me is immeasurable. The narrative voice was so astoundingly unique, and the story-telling so fresh and unguarded . . . from that moment forward I knew I wanted to write, I knew I wanted to read more, and I knew that when I went to college I wanted to study literature.

The book is The Catcher In the Rye by J.D. Salinger. The main character is Holden Caulfield, perhaps the least forgettable character I've ever run into. The book starts off with "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like . . ." I found some more good Holden quotes on this website. Here are some of my favorites:

- "It was that kind of a crazy afternoon, terrifically cold, and no sun out or anything, and you felt like you were disappearing every time you crossed a road."

- "I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible."

- "When I really worry about something, I don't just fool around. I even have to go to the bathroom when I worry about something. Only, I don't go. I'm too worried to go. I don't want to interrupt my worrying to go."

- "All morons hate it when you call them a moron."

- "It's really too bad that so much crumby stuff is a lot of fun sometimes."

- "Boy, when you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody."

There is a tension in this book that has always fascinated me: the profanity-laced narrative of Holden seems incongruent with his all-consuming desire to protect the innocence of children. And he is still just an adolescent himself.

If you've never read The Catcher In The Rye, you really should. You can also find out more about the auther JD Salinger, who passed away last month here.

So what books snagged your interest in reading?

3 comments:

  1. Dawn Paolucci-EckertFebruary 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM

    when I was a kid my mom used to have me in this summer reading program.. they sent you a poster in the mail that you would hang on the wall.And you could put a star next to each title, for each book you read. IT WAS great.. I remember it was "Little Women" that grabbed me by pigtails and took me on an adventure that I will never forget. I have probably read this book a good 20 times by now..knowing each line..word..but its my very favorite book and it changed my like for reading into a love of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! i must have gotten a question from your wife. she can e-mail me at momentswithlove AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Franny and Zooey? I just finished it for our book club at church. I'm not sure I like the Glass family, but I liked the book. As for me, the book that made me realize I wanted to teach English was Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities -- I loved his language. Now, Shawn, I have no idea how to post this with a name.
    Dianne Yuninger

    ReplyDelete