Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Five television shows which should not be preserved in a time capsule for future generations

We've all done it. It's late at night, but too early for bed. We're too tired to read or do anything productive. All we want to do is veg, so we turn on the tv to get us through 20 minutes or so of life before hitting the hay.

And we end up watching something really, really dumb.

The following are, in my opinion, some of the lamest television creations of all time. A few I am even ashamed to admit I have tuned in to. Others are borderline. One of the top five Maile completely disagrees with me on. When I tried to include another one, "What Not to Wear," she had a downright tantrum.

"That's not even right!" she exclaimed, "They help people!"

So, here are my choices, in reverse order, with one being perhaps the dumbest show I've ever seen - feel free to disagree, or add your own (un)favorites to the list:

5) Apollo 13 (the movie) - this movie used to be in my top 20 favorite movies of all time. Who didn't know the catch-phrase, "Houston, we have a problem"? But then they started showing it EVERY SINGLE NIGHT on TBS . . . and I watched it EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. The madness needs to stop. Apollo 13 needs to go.

4) Reruns of old football games of no significance. Please ESPN Classic, stop playing Steelers-Browns 1986. Even though the game had no significance, and both teams were horrible, I still have to watch. It's a sickness.

3) Say Yes to the Dress - okay, the first time I saw the show I was hooked. Conflict abounds when a bride goes to a posh wedding dress shop with family and friends in tow. But do we need to see this, the clerks upselling Jane Doe from a $2000 dress to a $5000 dress? That little dude who works there, running around, arguing with EVERYONE and fanning his eyes with his hands when he finds the perfect gown? Who knows, maybe next the tv people will take us back one point in the timeline and have us watching the girl pick out not only the dress, but the guy as well. Oh wait, they already did that in . . .

2) The Bachelorette. Seems more like a junior high kissing game than a serious attempt at finding Mr. Right.

AND FINALLY, THE SHOW MOST LIKELY TO LEAVE YOU FEELING CORRUPTED AND HORRIFIED AT THE STATE OF OUR SOCIETY (drumroll please):

1) Housewives of Atlanta/Orange County/New York. That's right, I'm going there CP (you know who you are). I can't remember a show before Housewives that, after watching for about ten minutes, I actually felt dumber. For those of you blessed enough never to have seen it, its reality tv at it's most egregious - 5 or 6 ultra-wealthy housewives are filmed going through their everyday lives, buying $10,000 purses, arguing over which gold-plated tiki torches they want for their next million dollar pool party, talking the audience through which of their previous husbands provides the most alimony, or which of their current affairs will end up proposing with the largest ring. Yet, if you pass this show 15 minutes before bed time, and are looking to waste a few minutes, you may find it hard to look away.

I feel much better, having got all of that off my chest. It's a confessional of sorts. So how about you? Consume anything recently that made you wish your brain could throw up?

5 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you on the "Say yes to the Dress show." I actually physically feel angry that it comes on when I'm in the room. As far as the Housewives.. I'm not sure..

    My wife would agree with Mai on the "What not to wear". I on the other hand have other feelings for that show. I have suddenly become very busy with my computer Friday nights at 8:00pm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bachelor / Bachelorette franchise is the cruelest show on television. I believe it leaves emotional wounds on people that may never heal. And yet, it makes for riveting TV.

    i agree though. they try to class it up with a rose and by putting everyone in formal wear...but essentially it's like junior high gym class at the end of each show, picking teams based on looks and an hour or two of time spent together.

    btw, not sure i could do this experiment. especially not with LOST still airing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As to feeling dumber/repulsed, I have never encountered anything more bile-inducing than Jersey Shore. It actually makes me want to move.

    The guilty pleasure around here, emphasis on GUILTY, is Nip/Tuck. I'm actually glad it's going off-air because I just can't help myself.

    You've made it longer than I think I would have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn & Maile Smucker! How are you? I found you through another blog and am looking forward to hearing about your year long journey of no tv. You know, this is the start of a new decade ... perhaps after the year, you'll decide to tackle the whole decade! I admire you for making this decision, and while I'm not a gambler, I'll bet you that by the end of this year another baby Smucker will be on the way! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flavor of Love didn't make the list??!!

    ReplyDelete